People who live in Zamboanga City are called Zamboangueños. The majority of the people who live in Zamboanga City speak the chavacano language. Of course several other languages are spoken in Zamboanga City but the local residents are really proud of their language and the name that they have coined it, “chavacano”.
Zamboanga City is a chartered City (October 12, 1936) and is an independent component of any provinces in the Philippines. Zamboanga City is the 6th most populated city in the Philippines and with a total land mass area of 1,483.38 square kilometers, makes Zamboanga City the 3rd largest city in the Philippines.
Zamboanga City, “urgullo” de Mindanao. Originally known as the City of Flowers. Then the Lobregat’s came around and lobbied to change the tag line to “Asia’s Latin City”. Zamboanga City, The Pride of Mindanao. Zamboanga City is located at the tip of the Zamboanga Peninsula and is one of the major cities in Mindanao. Zamboanga City is NOT a part of Zamboanga del Sur. The Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG), National Statistical Coordination Board (NSCB), Commission on Election (comelec), PIA (Philippine Information Agency), and the office of the president of The Philippines as of today (11/21/2021), continues to incorrectly lists Zamboanga City as part of Zamboanga del Sur.
Location of Zamboanga City, Philippines
- Located at the tip of the zamboanga peninsula within region 9 in Mindanao.
- Total Land Area: 1,483.38 square kilometers or 572.73 square milesElevation: Elevation varies, From the coastlines to about 1 kilometer in. It starts at 2 meters to 3 meters as you move in and it gradually increases. The inland mountains are as high as 1000 meters.
- Zip Code of Zamboanga City: 7000
- Phone Area code: 62
- When you call from outside the Philippines to a land line in Zamboaga City you dial first your Int’l access code, then the Philippines country code (63) , Zamboanga’s area code (62), then the local number. From a cell phone: 1st the Intl’l access code, then P.I. Country code (63), the cell phone number.
Zamboanga City is not part of Zamboanga del Sur
- In October 12, 1936 Zamboanga city became a chartered city and was carved out from the province but remained as the capital of the province.
- In September 17, 1952, via Republic Act No. 711 Zamboanga del Sur and Zamboanga del Norte was carved out from the province and the Zamboanga province no longer existed.
- Zamboanga Sibugay was created on February 24, 2001 (carved out from the province of Zamboanga del Sur) during the term of Congressman George T. Hofer by Republic Act 8973.
People of Zamboanga City, Philippines
- People of Zamboanga City are called:
- Zamboangueños = males
- Zamboangueñas = females
- The Official Language of Zamboanga City is Chavacano.
- The other major languages spoken in Zamboanga are:Filipino, English, Cebuano, Tausug, Subanon, Samal, Tagalog, Spanish, Chinese
- English is still the language used in all the school system to educate the public. Filipino or Tagalog is the second language used for education.
- The 2020 Census has the Population of Zamboanga City at: 977,234
- The 2015 Census has the Population of Zamboanga City at: 861,799
- The 2010 Census has the Population of Zamboanga City at: Total 807,129
- The 2007 Census has the Population of Zamboanga City at: Total 774,407
Government of Zamboanga City, Philippines
The location of the zamboanga city hall is within the barangay of Zone IV. City Hall Valderrosa Street Zone IV, Zamboanga City, Philippines 7000
Elected Government Officials of Zamboanga City for the term of 2019-2022 Mayor of Zamboanga City: Maria Isabelle G. Climaco-Salazar Vice-Mayor of Zamboanga City: Rommel S. Agan Representative District I: Congressman Cesar “Jawo” Jimenez Jr. Representative District II: Congressman Manuel Jose M. “Mannix” Dalipe ABC (Association of Barangays Council) President: Perez, Jerry Evangelista, Punong Barangay (Chairman) of Putik Indigenous People’s City Council Representative: Tungkuh B. Hanapi
Featured News of the Philippines
Updated: July 3, 2022
Permits for gatherings no longer required in Zamboanga City.
ZAMBOANGA CITY – The city government here announced Saturday that permits for public and private gatherings are no longer required. The city will remain under Alert Level 1 until July 15, according to the national Inter-Agency Task Force for the management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID). To date, the city has 34 active cases of Covid-19. Belen Sheila Covarrubias, city hall information officer, said the decision to forego permits for gatherings was agreed upon in a meeting between Mayor John Dalipe and the local IATF-EID on Thursday.
Camiguin confirms ASF cases, bans entry of pork products
CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY – The province of Camiguin has imposed a temporary ban on pork meat and by-products from outside the island after the Department of Agriculture-Northern Mindanao (DA-10) confirmed cases of African swine fever (ASF). The announcement of Governor Xavier Jesus Romualdo released late Saturday likewise asked hog raisers not to engage in swill feeding or the feeding of food scraps and adopt appropriate biosecurity measures.
Last Updated on July 3, 2022